I established the Kathleen Moore Rehl Moving Forward on Your Own Family Foundation to assist widows and their children--through grants from this foundation to nonprofits that help widows. I'm grateful to the advisors, organizations and corporate firms who sponsor my speaking events. A significant part of their sponship checks go into my foundation. Likewise, a portion of guidebook sales are added there.
It's highly gratifying to "invest" and multiply money in this special way. I agree with Winston Churchill who said,
"We make a living by what we get.
We make a life by what we give."
It's true that giving pays rich dividends for the giver. Helping to make a difference in the lives of others is a meaningful way for me to turn passive gratitude into active gratitude. And, I find that the more I express my gratitude by sharing with others
. . . the more I receive to be thankful for. Just works that way!oHere's a list of some of the grants we've made:
• Chicago Police Memorial Foundation
• Evangelical Lutheran Church in America-Women's Ministries (3 grants)
• Life Path Hospice--Chapters Health System
• Livingkindness FoundationFoundation
• Liz Logelin Foundation
• Modern Widows Club (2 grants)
• New Life Village, Inc.
• Soaring Spirits Foundation (3 grants)
• The Widows Journey (2 grants)
• Trinity Lutheran Seminary
• White Rainbow Project (2 grants)
• Widow Connection, Inc. (4 grants)
Our first grant bought treadle sewing machines for widows in Africa. They learn to sew for themselves and their children. Plus, they make items to sell, financially supporting their families.